Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Making a quill style seatpost

Today we have a pretty simple project. The quill seatpost. Some may find these useful for their french constructeur bicycles, others to save a frame with a mangled or broken binder boss. I decided to build my touring frame for use with a Suntour quill seatpost. After about 4500 miles of touring (+ its life on a previous bike) the post developed a crack. I held it all together with an unsightly hose clamp until now.





Suntour quill post





I picked up a couple of old these old SR seatposts with the closed tops. They work well because the top provides a good bolt seat and after drilling it out to the correct size, the bolt fits snugly in place. A regular plain old seatpost could be used as well with washers or a little machined cap to hold the bolt in the center. Seatposts with a built in clamp will work but you must be choosy about finding one with enough area and material for an added bolt hole. I made a previous quill seatpost using this same Kalloy model pictures in this Yellow Jersey article on this same subject.

Yellow Jersey Quill Seatpost Article




SR closed top seatpost




I also picked up some old 1 1/8" stem quills. Their o.d. is larger than 27.2 so they were perfect for milling down to size.




Materials




To hold the wedge simple screw it onto the stem bolt and vice it up in the chuck. Adding a spacer provides some room for the cutter to pass.




Turning down the wedge




Then you'll need to cut the post at a 35° angle. Or whatever angle your wedge is. I cut mine at a 45° angle mistakenly and then cut it to 35°. That is why a little too much bolt is protruding. It will work but it is even shorter now. I recommend trying to find stem bolts that are 9 inches or longer, if such things exist.




Finished product




IMG_3813




A little more searching for longer stem bolts, and I will make some more.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, did you consider dismantling the old Suntour seatpost to see how that handy lock mechanism near the top works? I find myself with the same seatpost & the same problem :(

    I just purchased an old Kalloy aero seatpost of the same era (c.1990) and I am hoping to transfer the unbroken Suntour seatpost parts to it. Because the used post has an aero-dynamic profile for the top third, it will likely not be possible to allow tightening from the top (to be confirmed!) and, in any case, I would like to keep the "Suntour handy lock mechanism" if practical - I found it convenient/clever/attractive even. However, I am reluctant to dismantle my current post until Winter sets in as I don't want to risk being left with a unridable bike while the sunshines! Especially as I have just overhauled it.

    ReplyDelete